I get this question asked a lot. There are several things you first need to know before you seek professional services.
What Is The Difference Between A Stylist And An Image Consultant?
Some people will say there is no difference but I beg to differ. Even, then my argument between the difference can get a little fuzzy:-) An image consultant is trained (provided they have the proper training) to identify your clothing personality, body type and color profile. There are many different theories for each of these Image Disciplines, but there is a consistency between them.
A stylist is typically someone who is more in the “fashion” arena. They do not typically look at your business environment. If they do, it is more of what type work do you do? What special events or meetings do you need to dress for? They then dress you for those occasions.
The biggest difference is that an image consultant will provide you with a foundation on how to build a wardrobe for any occasion. They can then build that wardrobe for you by offering wardrobe evaluation and personal shopping services.
Suggested article: 10 REasons to Hire a Personal Stylist of Image Consultant.
I want to add here that what I like a great deal about stylists is that they are up-to-date on the most current fashion trends. It is important that you follow fashion or you can look out dated; and fast. Which in turn can make others’ perceptions of you is that your work and knowledge is outdated; however, do not build your image, personal brand, on fashion. Instead, incorporate what is in fashion according to who you are…not what fashion is.
How Do I Hire An Image Consultant?
You need to ask a few simple questions. Here a few to ponder:
1. How long have you been in business or doing this type work?
2. Who certified you to be an Image Consultant? In other words, where did they get their training? A makeup company does not cut the mustard!
3. Do you work with many men/women in the corporate world?
4. What type of Color Profiling do you offer? This is extremely important. If they do not have a color system in place, or do not offer that service, then I would NOT hire them. Color is the foundation of any wardrobe. It defines colors for your clothing, accessories, hair and makeup for women.
5. Ask for three references. If you are a male, ask for male references. If you are a female ask for female references.
6. Ask them to outline the program they would offer you along with the cost.
Rates can be done hourly or in a package, flat rate. I would NOT recommend paying hourly rates for the image programs. I typically would recommend hourly rates for personal shopping or closet evaluation. Even then, you should ask for a package rate.
Suggested article you might like: What Color Is Your Brand?
Choosing an image consultant is qualified, well trained, and experienced will start an average rate of $350+ for image consulting services. Hourly rates can range from $100+/per hour. A note about costs:
You may pay a higher premium for these type services but it is well worth the investment. Think about how many clothes, accessories, and makeup that you purchased and did not wear for some reason. Knowing what to buy and where to invest your money will save you a GREAT deal in the long run.
I always say, choosing an image consultant will help cut your shopping time by 50% and mistakes by 100%! I hope this helps you with your dilemma. Click here to learn more about CHUVA beyond’s Professional Wardrobe program.